Gordon Smith Relays
The 2017 Gordon Smith Relays take place on Wednesday 10th May.
Read full 2017 prospectus here.
Read all about it and see results from 2016 here.
NEW Location: West Allotment County Park, Silverlink North (fast, flat course)
Registration (from 6pm): Spud and Lettuce Café (Silver Fox Way) NE27 0QJ
3×2 miles. £15 per team. 7.30pm start
and approx. 1 mile Fun Run – 6.50pm for U16 and 7pm for U13s and parents. Race medals for all finishers.
(£3, all ages welcome, pay on the night but please register interest at firstname.lastname@example.org giving names and age on day U13 or U16). Race numbers will be at registration for pre-registered juniors. Entries on day accepted.
Gordon Smith was a former chairman of Wallsend Harriers and made a distinctive mark on the club. He and his good friend Terry O’Gara (also a former chairman) both had an acute sense of the social and communal benefits of sport and possessed the famous Geordie values of ‘work hard, play hard’.
This popular relay event is held annually (usually the second weekend in May) over a largely traffic-free course.
Registration, presentation and buffet after the race
(please note: no changing facilities available)
- Combined start (7:30pm)
- A largely traffic-free course.
- Safe for all runners.
It is a 3×2 mile race (approx.) and there are three categories:
- Men’s – min. age 16 (teams of three at least one of whom must be a veteran (40 or over) )
- Women’s – min. age 16 (teams of three at least one of whom must be a veteran (35 or over))
- 1mile (approx.) Fun Run (for all ages) Register by 6.15pm
- All finishers receive a goody bag.
Entries are £15 per team
There are prizes for:
- 1st, 2nd & 3rd men’s team
- 1st, 2nd & 3rd women’s team
- Fastest senior, fastest veteran man
- Fastest senior, fastest veteran woman
Read the 2015 race report and see the results here.