Summer Grand Prix
The Summer Grand Prix (SGP) is a series of races which are run from April through to August.
As well as our own two mile handicap races; the series comprises a variety of popular and challenging events, including the Wallsend Harriers Club Championship – which is the pinnacle of our own club racing calendar.
The reigning SGP champion is Donna Thompson.
Our 4 SGP handicap races take place around the tracks of the Rising Sun Country Park, starting at the Barking Dog.
They usually take place on a Tuesday evening, where we gather at 6.30pm with a 6.45pm start.
The dates for this years SGP handicap races are as follows:
- Tues April 17th
- Tues May 29th
- Tues June 26th
- Tues August 7th
The following events will also count towards SGP scoring:
- North Tyneside 10k – Sun 1st April
- Blyth 10k – Sun 8th April
- Terry O’Gara Memorial 5k – Sun 22nd April
- Track & Field 1, Gateshead – Sat 5th May
- Gordon Smith Relays – Wed 9th May
- Pier 2 Pier – Sun 20th May
- Clive Cookson 10k – Wed 23rd May
- Track & Field 2, Middleborough – Sun 3rd June
- Newburn River Run – Wed 13th June
- Weetslade Relays – Wed 20th June
- Tynedale 10k – Wed 4th July
- Track & Field 3, Hexham – Sun 8th July
- Sunderland 5k – Thu 12th July
- Club Championships – Tue 17th July
- Track & Field 4, Darlington – Sat August 4th
- Quayside 5k – Wed August 15th
- Any Marathon ran during April through August can also be included.
Scoring is a combined total of:
- 2 x best SGP races
- 3 x best Road races
- 1 x Relay or Track & Field event (run, jump or throw)